Teal

Friday, July 29, 2011

"Let's Here It for New York!"

I LOVE New York!

Ever since I first visited my sister-in-law's parent's apartment complex in the Bronx and drove by Yankee Stadium when I was just a teen and then acted as a total tourist during a college trip over ten years ago, I've been in love. It's one of the reasons why I went there for graduate school in addition to the fact that it's a huge media hub, obviously.

For all of those concerned, it does come second to Philly, of course, because that's where I'm from and the city I know better than any other. But, still, NY holds a special place in my heart - there's so much to see, so much to do, and it's just amazing. 

Anyway, this past summer, I had the chance to visit both Citi Field - for a Phillies/Mets game - and Yankee Stadium. I love visiting ballparks and it was a first time at both venues for me - I did see a game at the old Yankee Stadium back in 2004. I, unfortunately, forgot my camera when going to Citi Field, so I only have a picture of the exterior.
One of my favorite aspects of this park, which opened in 2009, was Shea Bridge because it essentially combined the old with the new. Something else I liked about Citi Field was how close I felt to the field even if our seats weren't. Apparently, according to the Citi Field Overview, this is a fan enhancement feature of the park - seats are set closer to the field. For more images of the field, click here!  Unfortunately, my Phillies lost that day, but took home a couple wins during the following two games.


During this short, 24-hour July trip, I also had the opportunity to experience the village of Rockville Centre, NY. It was such a cute, little town with lots of shops and eateries and I would recommend a visit - just a 40 minute ride from Penn Station, it undoubtedly has a completely different feel from Manhattan. This Nassau County suburb is a great place to live.

New York, Part Two
My end of July trip up north could be called a mini-vacation - it definitely included more activities than the first short-lived venture. And, one of those activities was hitting the beach - Long Beach - for some surf and sun even though the sun didn't really want to make an appearance. The overcast, relaxing afternoon was a nice change of pace from work. But, you know what they say about overcast - the sun is stronger and you often don't realize you're getting burnt, which we didn't! Ah!
I loved this sign. Why? I don't know. I think it was because it said "bathing" instead of "swimming."

The beach. After some photoshop magic, this picture doesn't look as ominous as it originally did on my screen.


Later that night took us to Yankee Stadium, which also opened in 2009, where they were playing the Orioles. A rain delay gave us some time to tour the park and the Yankee museum.  
   

How I disliked taking this picture!
I thought back to being at Citizens Bank Park for one of the World Series games and was totally wishing and cheering my hometown Phils on for a repeat that year!
Nonetheless, this is my very delayed congratulations.

Some of the Yankees' greatest players...black and white (old school) and full color below! 

Autographed baseballs in the museum.  
I bought a Joe DiMaggio (I had to support a legend like Joe!) shirt earlier that day. And, a highlight of that purchase was a random man at a bar in Astoria telling me my dad was probably with me when I bought the shirt because I chose DiMaggio. Strange yet funny!
**Side note: Writing this made me think back to the Phillies/Yankees game in Clearwater this past March. A man resembling DiMaggio was dressed in a full uniform with a Marilyn Monroe cutout outside Bright House Field. Hm, maybe that's why I chose him or maybe it was just because he was truly a legend! 



Rain Delay
Although it may be strange, I kind of like when they squeegee the field. I think I like the logistics of it, how they have such extensive drainage underground - it's kind of neat.  





#25 Mark Teixeira 
So, the Yankees ended up losing that night by two runs. With both teams I was cheering on losing (Phils and Yanks), I started to become nervous and possibly started to think maybe I was bad luck especially since they won the next day by lots of runs!
No sweat, I attended another Phillies game - at home in August - and they won! Woohoo!
Anyway, until next time, New York...xoxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment