Teal

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mosaic Mojo

When my friend Maria asked me if I wanted to make mosaics one weekend, I said yes right off the bat. I love artsy things and never crafted something mosaic before! And, although the weather wasn’t the best, my cousin Gina, my niece Olivia and I headed down to Swedesboro, NJ for an afternoon of glass cutting, staining, and a tissue gluing fun time at Mosaic Mojo! My cousin Jenn and friend Maria along with her cousin - also named Maria - met us there.

Jenn arrived first and went right to business on decorating her glass heart with red, pink and grey tesserae or small glass pieces. I’m a bad decision maker – I may have mentioned this before – so although I thought I made my mind up about doing a mosaic, I changed it at the last minute. Gina mentioned on the way down that we could do decoupage - the art of decorating an object with different types of pieces of paper. I liked this idea because I had the opportunity to make something useful and not just decorative. Gina and I both decided to decoupage trays while Olivia began piecing together her frog - so cute!  After Maria and her cousin arrived, they both chose to make mosaic candle holders, which required extra visits to set the clay in between the glass.

Supplies
Since I couldn't decide between making a funky heart mosaic or decoupaging a tray, I thought it would be a good idea to combine the two and have the heart as the central design on my tray.

The containers of colored green and blue glass Olivia used for her frog.

The zebra tissue paper - Gina helped me pick it out - I used for my red tray.

Mod Podge glossy glue didn't just keep the pieces all together, it also gave the trays a nice glistening coat.


The beginning of Olivia's frog...she did a GREAT job! 

Olivia worked hard cutting glass pieces to make them fit just right.

Jenn put together a tray of different colors before working on her heart.

The girls were hard at work...

but stopped for a picture.

Gina and I had our own decoupage table!
She stained her tray a portabella brown color - it needed a couple of coats - while I combined bright red and purple for my painted edges.

Progress Shots





Gina's antique looking tray - loved it!

Can you see the heart in the center?!


One piece of zebra tissue paper at a time.


Liv finished her frog so quickly!


Maria's heart candle holder.

Jenn put the last touches on her multi-colored hearts within a heart.


Gina's clock tray.
Almost done. I think the red and zebra combination turned out well and definitely goes along with my love of the color RED!



Jackie, the owner, and Maria chat about how she initially started constructing mosaics.


Our Final Products!
(My tray is still a little wet and the Marias came back for some future sessions)



Jackie, thank you for your instruction and helping us come up with some great ideas! I think we all had a blast and would definitely be interested in coming again.

Olivia loved it so much that she wanted to have a decoupage birthday party, which we are planning! 
Look for a future post on more artsy endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment