Teal

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Brooklyn Bound

In trying to keep up with my posts, which are always very behind, I decided to compile more recent events since I remember them more clearly. Maybe I'm just getting old. That being said, let's continue with my mini-vacation to New York, which also included a trip to Brooklyn. Ever since the Sex and the City episode when Miranda and Steve met in the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge, I have always wanted to walk over. The day following the Yankee game rain delay turned out to be warm and beautiful, which was perfect!

I should start off by saying I'm not the best with heights, but since I trekked over the Golden Gate last summer, which is almost two miles and decidely longer, the Brooklyn Bridge was not a problem. In fact, both bridges (and Philly's Walt Whitman and Ben Franklin Bridges) are on the list for longest suspension bridges. Currently, the longest suspension bridge is in Japan.

The walkway in between and above the traffic made the walk seem less daunting. And, since the bridge is currently being rehabilitated, most of the interior walkway was enclosed, which somehow made me feel safer. Part of the NY skyline since 1883, the first steel-wire suspension bridge spanning the East River was deemed a national historic landmark in 1964. Many of the photos taken are of the Manhattan Bridge just across the river. I hope you enjoy the photos and view as much as I did!

Now I just need to walk over the Ben Franklin Bridge since I drive over it almost every day!















No comments:

Post a Comment