Teal

Saturday, April 2, 2011

How to Succeed in Business

For my 29th birthday, Joe purchased tickets for How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying in New York City! I love seeing shows - in Philly and New York - and usually each year, my mom, sister-in-law and niece head up north in March to catch whatever is playing or something we have been wanting to see as a joint birthday celebration. 
But, this year, since we didn't make plans, Joe decided - after I mentioned it a couple times - that it would be a good idea for a birthday present, which it was! And, since my friends Liz and Leo live up in Staten Island, we decided on dinner plans after the show for a full day of fun in the Big Apple!

Joe, after talking to my cousin Jenn, chose this play because this past summer, I started reading Harry Potter and watching the movies in preparation for the final installment. Since Daniel Radcliffe was the main star alongside John Larroquette, it was the perfect choice.
The critically acclaimed musical was a first for both of these talented film and Broadway actors.
The show, based on Shepherd Mead's 1952 book, first appeared on Broadway in the early 60s and was also turned into a movie.
Joe, who designed lighting for numerous shows during and after college, was familiar with the storyline. And, even though I wasn't, I was extremely excited and couldn't wait to be entertained.
Did I mention I love theatre shows, especially on Broadway?!
Waiting in line outside the Al Hirschfeld Theatre, 302 W. 45th Street, for the doors to open.
The stage.
If you're interested in seeing the show, the website has some great montage videos to give you a better idea of the fun and great acting ability this cast exhibited. My favorite part was the 'Coffee break,' it seemed so funny to me and reminded me of my 1 p.m. daily coffee break at work.
 After the show, we waited outside for a bit and took some pictures. If I could, which I almost did, I would have taken a picture of every sign or billboard!
For the three photos below, apparently the lighting by the door to illuminate the signs made it difficult to take pictures, until we realized, not using a flash was a GREAT idea!


YAY!
Third time's the charm.
 While we were taking pictures, a pretty large crowd gathered near the side door in the likelihood that they might catch a glimpse or autograph from one of the actors. For the evening show, when we were leaving the city, the crowd outside the side door was even larger with limos waiting in tow. Yes, I really wanted to pull over, but we didn't!
How to Succeed on Broadway!
Step 1: Get two brilliant stars to lead your cast.



This sign was on the steps across from the theatre! Sheesh!
For some odd reason, I wanted to take a picture and was entirely too tempted to sit!

With some time before dinner, we walked around the city stopping a little along the way - once for coffee and a second time, for Joe to take a photo in front of the Late Show with David Letterman's Ed Sullivan Theater. Well, actually, I wanted to take the photo, but Joe didn't really want to look like a tourist.
Then we headed over to Bobby Flay's Bar Americain, 152 W. 52nd Street, where we had dinner reservations with Liz and Leo. Liz, Joe and I looked at several restaurants before deciding on this gem! Having always wanted to dine at one of his restaurants, this spot was in a perfect location - walkable from the theatre.
Described as an 'American brasserie,' Bar Americain infuses standard American dishes with a certain unique flair. We arrived earlier than Liz and Leo and enjoyed a drink while waiting. And, since I like providing a little snippet of restaurant menus or our meals, especially when it's a first time visit, here you go.
At the waiter's recommendation, we started off with signature hot potato chips around a bowl of melted blue cheese sauce. Different, yet pretty tasty. For dinner, I enjoyed a pork chop with a double apple butter sauce and sauteed brussel sprouts (my fave!) while Liz cut into juicy lamb chops complemented with sweet potato gratin. Both guys dined on butternut squash and ricotta crepes. I think we all loved our meals - no complaints here and I thought the preparations were definitely unique. 
For dessert, Liz and Leo shared a red velvet brownie sundae while Joe and I dipped into my favorite German Chocolate Cake. It seems the menu changes slightly every so often, but I would definitely make a return visit to Bar Americain and have recommended it to everyone I talked to about the trip since.


We were seated in the corner of the mezzanine, which offered a great view of the entire restaurant.




Until next time New York, xoxo!

Since visiting NYC for How to Succeed and since my mom loves theatre too, we decided to purchase season tickets for Philly's 2011/2012 Broadway Season, just like I did right after college with a couple friends. I cannot wait until they begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment