Teal

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holidays in the Big Apple

Most people who know me, know I love New York! Although I am and will always be a Philly girl, there is something about New York that had me at hello. I probably sound redundant, but I just can't help it. So, when my cousin and I both were off from work between Christmas and New Year's, we decided to plan a short trip up north. At first, we were going to see a show and then we decided to just relax for a couple days and take in the city and all that it has to offer (for the most part). After getting stuck in some train traffic, there were a ton of people at the Hamilton train station, we made our way into the city and north to Columbus Circle to check in at our hotel - Hudson New York. The hotel's lobby was amazing and the photos just don't do it justice.



After checking in, and since we were staying so close to Central Park, we decided to walk around before heading back to get ready for our dinner reservations. Although it's been four years since I finished graduate school - right there at Columbus Circle - it felt like just yesterday I walked through the Park on a daily basis. And, I can remember the first time I was taken to the ice skating rink in Central Park back in 2004 - such a long time ago - and I didn't even realize there was a rink in the park back then. Everyone looked like they were having so much fun and we stopped for some pictures. 





Driprock Arch 
For some reason, I think because it was the setting of some part of a movie, and I wanted to take a picture in front of this bridge. 





As any girl(s) would do, we then went to The Plaza. I have never been before and it was decorated so beautifully for the holiday. 





And, while we were at The Plaza, we came across Eloise and her tree - actually we heard someone mention it while we were at the train station and thought it would be something to see. I think my niece would have loved it a handful of years ago and maybe even now since she, like me, loves New York!






That night, Jenn and I were excited to hit up Mario Batali's restuarant, Babbo, 110 Waverly Place, for dinner. We made reservations a month in advance and almost thought we weren't going to make it on time because of rush hour traffic, but our cab driver was great - he floored it - and the meal was definitely worth the trip. I enjoyed some "Brasato al Barolo" with porcini mushrooms - an odd choice for me, but Philly's Fitzwater Cafe's brasato won me over last winter - and Jenn chose Chianti Stained Pappardelle with Wild Boar Ragu - yum!
 Both were amazing and after dinner, we headed to Amity Hall for a couple of drinks with a friend and then headed back to "the library" - a bar and pool room at our hotel.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment