Teal

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Let It Snow!

All of the snow the mid-Atlantic/East Coast has been having brought back memories of our trip to Niagara Falls in April 2007. We originally post-poned our trip that April because of a snow storm (albeit not as great as the ones we've been having recently) only for the Falls to have ice caps on them when we did arrive.

I never traveled to Canada before so this trip was a first for me. Our long weekend vacation started with an early morning eight hour drive through New York to the Canadian border right beyond Buffalo, after becoming lost for a bit. I will say one of my favorite differences between the U.S. and Canada was the use of the metric system - something that didn't go over to well in America and something I didn't learn well in elementary school as a result. Once we passed the border, Joe quickly converted our rental car's interior systems to metric in order to make it easier to adhere to the correct speed limit. But, not realizing this change, I quickly became confused because of the outside temperature noted in the car. The transition from Fahrenheit to Celcius made me think it was much colder than it actually was.


Although I ended up very sick toward the end of this trip because of the high altitude and extremely cold air, Niagara Falls, The Great Gorge, Lake Ontario and Niagara-on-the-Lake were absolutely wonderful!


Below are some great pictures...notice the ice caps...by day and night!





One of the Great Lakes - Lake Ontario


My cousin, Jenn, suggested we visit Niagara-on-the-Lake and it was definitely one of my favorite spots. We stopped several times during our drive alongside the Niagara River to Lake Ontario....I loved snapping pictures of the current and the force of the water! (Yes, I'm a dork sometimes, but I love learning something new or historical on a trip).


My grandparents even honeymooned here (so I've heard)...and I can understand why...it's only eight hours away and there's so much to do and see!

The Gorge...the best part


Now back to our winter storm...part 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment