Teal

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Birthday Cheer!

When it came to celebrating my 28th birthday, I didn’t really have any plans in mind. I knew I wanted to do something low-key and enjoy some red velvet cake at some point – those were my only requests! The cake part goes back to the fact that each year, my mom asks me what kind of cake I want so I thought I would switch it up from my usual chocolate indulgence.

Well, my birthday weekend turned out to be so much more! It was not only packed with birthday cheer, but thoughtful gifts, family, friends and food galore while mixing in a little time at the shore.

It all began on the chilly Saturday morning with a scrumptious brunch alongside cousins at Haddonfield’s Corner Bistro, which we had to plan a month in advance. Apparently, our weekends are that full! French toast with a side of apple compote, chatting away and gift opening made the time fly!

Joe and I then went home and rested a bit before heading to dinner at Maggiano’s with the family (most of us anyway, we were missing a few) in Center City. It was there that we had an exorbitant amount of food – all of which Liva and I chose since we were the birthday girls! (Liva’s 11th Birthday is March 8th so my mom decided we would celebrate a little early for her too!) Liva and I completed our dinner by sharing Chocolate Zuccotto Cake (she remembered it from the last time she was there and told me about it before dinner even began =) and a piece of tiramisu topped with five candles, which we blew out simultaneously.




















Before my mom decided we should do a combo dinner, she bought us (including Diane and Olivia) tickets to see Annie at the Merriam Theater. It has definitely become a birthday tradition – last year, we saw Mary Poppins and dined at Carmine’s in NY! Annie was absolutely adorable and we loved the happy ending!

We followed the play with heading out (this part only involved Joe and I) to meet some friends for a few drinks at Lucy’s Hat Shop in Olde City. All I can say was the day was long yet eventful and filled with fun - I also haven’t stayed out past 2 a.m. in a very long time! Maybe I am getting older.

Sunday was filled with visits to Joe’s parents and my mom’s cooking – my fave pasta – fusilli! And my second request of red velvet cake I mentioned above exceeded my expectations! It was yummy – Liva and I especially enjoyed it (It must be those March people as my mom says)! But since all of the desserts were way too much, we shared pieces of cake with Joe’s next door neighbor as well as his parents.

Some pictures from the first part of the weekend!
Joseph wanted to squeeze in between the birthday girls!

The girls!

























The Chelsea

Since I wrote a press release in 2008 about Starlite Productions’ work on The Chelsea Hotel in Atlantic City, I’ve been wanting to visit. The last time we headed to AC, we drove by just so I could catch a glimpse of the interior even though we were staying at Harrah’s. With this in mind, Joe booked a room for my birthday and Sunday night led us south. I have to start off with saying that although everything at the hotel wasn’t opened because it was the middle of the winter; the décor was very chic and unique. I loved the lighting outside, but that could be a result of being with Joe for so long, who was once a lighting sales rep. And as a lover of antiques, I thought the old-fashioned feel of the entire façade was authentic. I loved the furniture and even took some pictures of the pieces adorning our room – my sister-in-law described me as a total tourist.

Some ROOM and HOTEL pics!





Soon after arriving, we dined on seafood appetizers and drinks at Steven Starr’s Chelsea Prime – a premier steakhouse – while gazing at the stars over the ocean. The next morning, we enjoyed breakfast at Starr’s Teplitsky’s Coffee Shop adjacent to the hotel. It was delish and as Joe would say, our waitress was “quirky,” yet extremely friendly. She event hinted at places to visit, which I thought was cute.

We had an extended stay and I was eager to hit the pool (table). =) No, I wouldn’t even think about taking a dip in the winter. I’m just not a cold weather kind of person. As I stared at the ocean, I thought about some friends of mine and people I’ve met who were brazen enough to withstand the polar bear plunge. I just have two words – God Bless! Anyway, I remember playing pool continuously as a kid in the game room of the Tolentine Center, 11th and McKean streets. So the Fifth Floor of the Chelsea was the perfect spot to relive those moments. Complete with “the living room,” “the game room,” Chelsea Prime, a deck, club and outside pool; this level was well equipped for a good time. When we finished our three games - only one of which I won I might add – I realized maybe playing every five years or so didn't keep me skilled. Unlike Joe, who apparently had skills of which I didn't realize at the time.


After my lack of expertise, we decided to head off to The Pier at Caesar’s in which I bought a birthday gift of my own – well, really more like a gift from my gifts I received from family. After much thought and some slight hesitation (I really wanted another designer purse, but decided against it), I purchased an iPod touch as I stared at the red iPod nano. I’m telling you the color and slenderness almost had me, but the technology of the touch was like a magnet. Anyway, I’m super excited to start playing with my new toy – as Joe’s mom called it. But, with my busy schedule, it may take me a couple of weeks. Maybe I’ll blog about it in the future...who knows?

And I CANNOT forget the wonderful chocolate cupcakes with marscapone icing Debra made me - my co-workers sang to my boss and I who are birthday “twins!” They were yummy and definitely made my morning!

I want to send a final THANKS to everyone who made my birthday extra special. Whether it was through a text (even my mom texted me on the day of), phone call, email, e-card or celebrated with me at some point, I appreciate it. To another year…centi’anni!

No comments:

Post a Comment