Teal

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Portland Head Light

While in Cape Elizabeth, we decided to head over to Fort Williams Park - one of the town's most treasured open areas where people enjoy themselves no matter what season. According to http://www.gotravelmaine.com/, the 90 miles of rolling hills culminate in the sweeping view of the Casco Bay. At the tip of this park stands Portland Headlight, which is not only the state's oldest lighthouse, but probably the one most photographed as well - possibly by me alone! As I loaded these photos, I realized I took a TON! But some are so great and I hope you enjoy the view. If you're ever up north, stop by and say hi!

Walking through Fort Williams Park - there were actual forts - up to the base of the lighthouse.






Joe with all the ships sailing by behind him.

DO NOT GET TOO CLOSE!



 A little creepy...read the etching or painting or whatever it is on the stone...shipwrecked?!

 Joe enjoyed the view!



 Inspiration for Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...I think I might have mentioned this in a previous post.


 South Portland, only minutes from where we stayed.


We made a quick visit to Two Lights State Park - named for the twin lighthouses built in the 1800s - before heading back for our Sunset Cruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment